Freshmen Requirements

International students go through three or four screening processes for admission to SUNY Potsdam.  They are:

  1. Academic Admission Process
  2. Financial Evaluation Process to obtain the I-20 (immigration documentation)
  3. For Music Students Only-Music students must also submit a DVD audition to the Crane School of Music for admission to the music school.  Contact Dr. David Heuser for information regarding your DVD audition.

These processes must be completed before the student is officially accepted to SUNY Potsdam.

Academic Process:

  1. Apply online at  The fee is $50.00 US Dollars. 
  2. Submit the following documents directly to our campus:
    • Official Secondary School Records
      • School records must be in English
      • Contact to discuss which documents to submit and how to submit them
    • SUNY Supplemental Application
    • One letter of recommendation (or form allowing for individual comments) from a school based counselor or teacher
  1. A copy of the biography page of your passport.  This is the page that includes complete legal name, country of citizenship and photograph.  
  2. Non-Native English Speaking Applicants must also submit the following:
    • English Proficiency Statement (FSA-3):  Find the FSA-3 form at  The form must be completed by a director of courses in English (or duly designated representative) of a bi-national center or a professor of English at a school or university.
    • Results from one of the following exams:  TOEFL, IELTS, EIKEN, SAT or ACT.  Scores must be submitted directly from the testing agency to the Admissions Office.  For more information click here.

Financial Evaluation Process:

The U.S. Federal Government requires students to provide proof of funding for one year of study to issue the I-20 documentation.  Please e-mail Kelly Crosbie to determine your estimated cost of attendance.  The documents must be dated nine months or less prior to the date of the semester you are attending.  We require the following documents for verification:

  1. Foreign Financial Statement (FSA-4):  The FSA-4 is found at

    • Student must sign Section C of the FSA-4 form.
    • We base currency conversion on the following website:
  2. Original proof of funding statement (Examples include official letter from financial institution, verified/stamped bank statement, official letter from financial advisor, etc.)  If you have questions contact Kelly Crosbie.


International students are encouraged to apply for scholarship awards.  Click here for more information and scholarship applications.